LIST OF ALL IYASE’S OF GREAT BENIN KINGDOM TILL DATE AND THE ERA OF OBA’S THEY SERVED
1) Iyase Odigie served four Obas (Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni and Udagbedo)
2) Iyase Emuze served two Obas (Udagbedo and Ohen). Note: after the unfortunate death of Iyase Emuze which in turn affected the palace, the next eight Obas chose not to have an Iyase.
3) Iyase Ezene Obodoiken – a descent of Onicha Olona served one Oba (Orhogbua). Note: it was through this Iyase that the greeting “Lavbieze”was created.
4) Iyase Ekpenede served two Obas (Orhogbua and Ehengbuda), he is arguably the toughest of all Iyase’s.
5) Iyase Ogina served two Obas (Ehengbuda and Ohuan). Oba Ohuan had no male child which brought rotational kingship back to Benin and the preceding is regarded as the most unstable part of our history and as such Six (6) Obas had no need for an Iyase.
6) Iyase Ode served three Obas (Ewuakpe, Ozuere and Akenzua I), after which in the next four reigns of Oba there was no serving Iyase.
7) Iyase Ohenmwen served one Oba (Osemwede), arguably the most kindhearted of them all.
8) Iyase Okunbo served one Oba (Osemwede)
9) Iyase Izomo served two Obas (Osemwede and Adolo)
10) Iyase Edo N’Uhobo served one Oba (Adolo)
11) Iyase Okizi served one Oba (Ovonramwen)
12) Iyase Agho served one Oba (Eweka II)
13) Iyase Okoro Otun serves two Obas (Eweka II and Akenzua II)
14) Iyase Gaius Ikuobase Obaseki served one Oba (Akenzua II)
15) Iyase Humphrey Omo – Osagie served one Oba (Akenzua II). Arguably the most sagacious of all Iyases
16) Iyase Samuel Osarogie Ighodaro served one Oba (Erediauwa)
17) Iyase west Erhabo served one Oba (Erediauwa)
18) Iyase Sam O. U. Igbe he still in service (Oba Erediauwa and Ewuare II), arguably the most studious and humble.
N.B: The choice of Iyase is entirely the prerogative of the Oba and he usually bestows it on his trusted friends, there were two exceptions though. Don’t ask me, find out yourself.
May the legends and services of all these great Iyases not be forgotten.
Oba gha to kpere. Ise.
Written by Imasuen Izoduwa.